Sunday 10 March 2013

Why i'm not a Christian

In order to be a theist you have to believe in God, and in order to be a (decent) christian, you have to at least believe that Jesus of Nazareth was the nicest and wisest person who lived on the planet. While his existance is still debatable, i want to focus on Jesus as described in the Bible and explain why i am not a christian, even if i agree with some of the things he might have said.

Two things i find negative about how his personality is described are:

1) Him seeing himself as God 2) Him believing in the concept of hell (eternal punishment).

My first point is really easy to understand: a person who viewed himself as God, or the son of God, but at the same time known as the most humble human being? I really don't get it.

As for the second, it might not be as clear but for me, a wise person, a nice person, a deep humanist soul, could never believe in eternal punishment. Some might say "hey it's just fair, people who are bad have to finally be punished". I disagree. Hell as an idea is completely disgusting.

Furthermore, while reading the Bible you'll find many parts where Jesus is seen as a person who didn't really have the best behavior towards the people who were not listening or following his teachings: it's repeated a lot, Jesus telling his students that the people who are not listening to him are going to be punished someday. It looks to me almost as if he wanted revenge. You won't find this kind of behavior if you look at how Socrates was described: Socrates was very kind towards the people who weren't listening to his teachings. It seems to me that a truly wise person would have followed the path of Socrates, not Jesus'.

I want to be more specific now and present some of his teachings that i disagree with.

I think the most popular Jesus' quote in the atheist society is this:

1)“Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.”
(Matthew 10:34)

I think there's no need to comment on that, it's quite clear, even though most fellow Christians would probably support that.. "it's just symbolic".

2)"He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and he who loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.”
(Matthew 10:35-37)

Nice teaching of family values, by the way. I do think that this quote reflects Jesus' personality.

3)“If any one comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.”
(Luke 15:26)

Again. Family values.

4)“I told you that you would die in your sins, for you will die in your sins unless you believe that I am he.” (“He” meaning the Messiah/ Son of God.)
(John 8:29)

And again. The only way to salvation is through a specific religious belief. All other beliefs are incorrect, and nothing else can save you. Was he really the nicest of all men?

5)“He who rejects me and does not receive my sayings has a judge; the word that I have spoken will be his judge on the last day."
(John 12:48)

Same thing. Not a christian? You were born in another country and never heard of this stuff before? You my friend are fucked!

Now the one that always bugged me, because people are always quoting it:

6) "And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question, to test him. “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the law?” And he said to him: “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
(Matthew 22:35-39)

First of all please, do you actually see what the greatest commandment in the law is? "Loving God" is more important than "loving your neighbour as yourself", according to Jesus. Is it really less important to treat other people well, than to believe in God?
This phrase always bothers me because of another thing too though: if my neighbour is a mean jerk, then i'm NOT gonna love him as myself. Should i really love Hitler, if he happened to live next door?
Respect and love is earned. I really disagree with everything in this phrase. I do not find it wise at all.
  
7)"But I say to you, Do not resist one who is evil. But if anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.”
(Matthew 5:38)

I think that the rights people earned in the history of humanity were not earned by turning the other cheek. It has a nice sound to it, sounds nice and all, but it's not right.

8)“You have heard it said that it was said to the men of old, ‘You shall not kill; and whoever kills shall be liable to judgment.’ But I say to you that every one who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother shall be liable to the council, and whoever says ‘You fool!’ shall be liable to the hell of fire.”
(Matthew 5:21-22)

This means that thought crimes are as bad as killing. What you think is as bad as killing someone. Insulting is as bad as killing. Calling someone a fool will make me deserve to be burned in fire.

I've been re-reading the Bible because i need to know very well what i'm fighting against. Jesus, if he existed could be a wise man indeed, but nothing in this book shows me he was God.

No comments:

Post a Comment